During the COVID-19 health pandemic, Carers SA is fully committed to supporting South Australian carers (click here to learn more). If you need assistance during this time, please call us on 1800 242 636

Talk things

How can counselling help?

Our carer counselling program can link you to a qualified professional who has an understanding of the issues carers face.

Talking with a counsellor who is there to listen and explore your situation, in a non-judgmental way, can be a helpful experience. Counselling can focus on many areas such as behaviour management, coping strategies, loss and grief, and relationship challenges.

It’s not always possible to prevent stressful or adverse situations, but our counselling program can strengthen your capacity to deal with these challenges.

We can also provide counselling if you have recently stopped providing care, for example the person you care for has moved into residential care, or has passed away.
Caring can be rewarding, but it can also be challenging. Many carers experience complicated feelings related to their role as a carer. Emotions like anger, depression, anxiety, loneliness, loss and grief are not uncommon.

Your family and friends can provide important support, but talking to someone who is not emotionally involved can help you explore ways to deal with difficult situations, and to balance caring with the rest of your life. Professional counselling could be an option for you.

If you are are experiencing a personal crisis and need immediate support, you can call Lifeline on 13 11 14.


How does it work?

We can provide short-term counselling (usually six sessions) that will mainly focus on issues related to your caring role as well as your health and wellbeing. You can apply to return to counselling after a break or if there is something new that you would like to talk over.

These sessions can take place face-to-face, by telephone, or via Skype, and you can talk to us by yourself or include your partner and/or other family members who are also carers or provide you with support.

Our counsellors work across metropolitan and rural regions of South Australia. There may be a small fee to use our counselling program, however, the fee may be waived under certain circumstances.

Bi-lingual counsellors are available in some languages and areas. If English is not your first language and you would like an interpreter, please tell us. Or you can call the TIS National Interpreting Service directly on 131 450.


Making a referral

If you think you know a carer who could benefit from speaking with a counsellor, get in touch with us. We will contact the carer directly to assess their needs.

Let us know

Sign up to our e-news