Running from 10 – 16 October, National Carers Week is a time to recognise and celebrate Australia’s unpaid carers and all they do. Carers are an essential part of our health system. They are the foundation of our aged, disability, mental health, palliative, and community care systems.
This year’s theme is ‘Millions of Reasons to Care’, which aims to bring attention to carers around the country who provide outstanding care and support to family members and friends.
1-in-8 Australians provide unpaid care and support to family members or friends and make an enormous contribution to our community as well as our economy. National Carers Week gives everyone a chance to show their appreciation and to raise community awareness amongst all Australians about the diversity of carers and their caring roles.
In South Australia alone, there are approximately 245,000 unpaid carers of which 30,000 are young carers under 25 years of age.
Unpaid carers were estimated to be providing 2.2 billion hours of unpaid care last year – over 42 million hours every single week. The replacement value of that care was estimated at almost $78 billion, or almost $1.5 billion every week.
How you can get involved and start the conversation in your organisation:
- Download and share social media posts on your social media platforms. We would love you to tag these as @CarersSA and use the hashtags #Carers21 and #MillionsOfReasonsToCare.
- Host a morning tea or team meeting and share the video of our CEO, David Militz, highlighting the enormous contribution carers make to our community and the economy. This is a great tool to start conversations amongst colleagues about carers in the community and the workplace. The video can be viewed at https://youtu.be/j3b7Ujj9vFA
- Print one of our posters and display in your kitchen, meeting and office spaces, to help raise awareness and start the conversation about carers.
- Print out the Carers SA postcard, draw or write your message of support for carers and give it to a carer you know. It is likely you are a carer or know someone who is.
- Sign up and have a say on ‘Your Voice’, our community engagement platform yourvoice.carerssa.com.au/
- Give a little support to a carer you know – keep in touch with them, encourage them to seek support and advice if they need via Carers SA, encourage them to take a break, share some of the caring responsibilities, and support them maintain good mental and physical health.
To download the Poster and Postcard artwork click links below:
To utilise assets for Facebook and Instagram, save as the images below: